MDC -Group Blog Post
MDC -Group blog Feedback and Comment Section

Comments (2)

Shelley Dunstone wrote on 3 Jan 2011 10:00 PM

A nice article, and I like the emphasis on the importance of the lawyers participating and cooperating with the PR people.  I would add that writing your own articles saves cost, and gives you more exposure than merely being quoted - many quotes are very brief and the often the content is fairly basic.  To be seen as an expert and thought leader, you need a flow of ideas and material.  If you'd like to take part in this discussion, please join the Martindale group "Thought Leadership for Lawyers" - here's the link:

community.martindale.com/.../default.aspx

Mike Mintz wrote on 4 Jan 2011 10:29 AM

Well put - you can always hire a ghost writer (some law firms do this) but there is nothing like putting your own stuff out there, even in non-legal writing platforms.  I think lawyers miss an opportunity to really engage in client development when they don't publish online.  Even little bits of information that are helpful to potential clients, consistently posted over time, add up to something that can help you create new business.  I recently wrote a blog post about people fearing to put themselves out there online, and how it can be an excuse to not deliver; you can read it here: mymedialabs.com/.../obscurity-is-worse-than-plagiarism-fear-of-putting-your-stuff-out-there