Pro Bono Net Community  (Public)

Pro Bono Net is a national non-profit organization dedicated to increasing access to justice for the disadvantaged. Our website for lawyers, www.probono.net , promotes collaboration and makes it easier for pro bono attorneys to get involved, saving time... Read More
Group Owners:
Category:
Association
Members:
MDC -Group Blog Post
MDC -Group blog Feedback and Comment Section

Comments (4)

Liz Keith wrote on 13 Apr 2011 4:27 PM

Thank You for this post, Ben! I really enjoyed reading it.

Mike Mintz wrote on 13 Apr 2011 5:20 PM

Wow. Thank you Ben for a powerful post. You are right: in the legal profession (or any profession for that matter) thank you can be a powerful phrase that creates a true connection between people. I'd like to share a quick thank you story here that relates to law, but mainly involves some wonderful nurses. Our first child, Shoshana, was due to be born during the bar exam. For the first two days of testing I wavered between focus and anticipation of getting that call that it was time. The second day passed, with only one more day of testing to go. Then my wife went into labor at 2am. We went to the hospital, and by 6am I looked at her hopefully, (that she wouldn't kill me), and asked if I could go take the NJ Bar exam without any sleep. She bravely said "yes" but added, "if you don't pass I'll kill you." Long story short, I took the test, finished an hour early, and got back in time for the birth (I passed too). It was an amazing experience, but what really struck me was the level of care the nurses at Hackensack Hospital gave my wife in my absence. When I arrived they all knew about the test, and asked how it went. We felt really cared for. Before checking out of the hospital a few days later, I wrote a thank you card to the nursing staff. It meant a lot to them, because I'm not sure they get thanked in this way too often, and they hung it in the nursing station (it was still there a few months later when we returned for a friends' birth). The power of thank you is very real.  

Abby Biberman wrote on 14 Apr 2011 10:46 AM

I enjoyed reading this as well.  Thank You for sharing!  It made me think about some of the thank yous I've received, and appreciate them even more.  

Julie Orr wrote on 15 Apr 2011 11:31 AM

Awesome, Ben!