Thought Leadership for Lawyers  (Public)

For lawyers who want to develop their skills in thought leadership - to raise their profile, attract clients and extend their influence.
Group Owners:
Category:
Business of Law
Members:
MDC -Group Blog Post
MDC -Group blog Feedback and Comment Section

Comments (5)

Frazer Hunt wrote on 5 Apr 2011 2:40 AM

Hi Shelley.  You're message to add value in your networking interractions is important.  I would only add that your mind-set should be to be seen as helpful and to never expect to receive something in return.  Work always comes from the least expected and surprising sources in your network!

Mark Smith wrote on 5 Apr 2011 2:47 AM

Nice post - The universal law of reciprocity is a good basis for networking - Cialdini explores this in his fantastic book "Influence"

Shelley Dunstone wrote on 5 Apr 2011 11:38 PM

Thank you both for your comments.  Frazer, I completely agree with you that the mindset should not be to get something in return.  "Give to Get" was just a snappy headline.  Not sure if lawyers are open to the idea of karma?  Is that seen as a bit "touchy-feely"?

Mike Mintz wrote on 6 Apr 2011 2:29 PM

This is so true Shelley. Just the other day I had a call with some lawyers about joining Martindale.com Connected. During the call, I really hit it off with one of the lawyers, and we connected online. Through a few emails it turns out that he has great connections that can help me on a high profile side project I am working on. I never considered this in wanting to connect with him after our meeting; we were just two human beings finding common ground. His generosity came as a result of that, and is what you might call "a gift." Seth Godin talks about gifts all the time, and says, "When done properly, gifts work like nothing else. A gift gladly accepted changes everything. The imbalance creates motion, motion that pushes us to a new equilibrium, motion that creates connection." (Check out his full post here http://bit.ly/e4JDxg).

@Mark: do you have a favorite link or quote that you want to share about Cialdini's new work?

Shelley Dunstone wrote on 7 Apr 2011 8:32 PM

I love the idea of "gifts", Mike.  And from a thought leadership point of view, the "gift" is often information.  I think lawyers sometimes have trouble with this because of the idea that information should be paid for.  In fact everyone (not just lawyers) struggles with the idea of giving away their intellectual property. And yet whenever you do a transaction involving information, the information has changed hands and has got away - so you may as well be generous with it!